Western Canada offers a gigantic playground during the summer time but it’s essentially during the winter time that it all makes sense. A majority of the best Canadian ski resorts are located within British Columbia and the Western part of Alberta. If you would like to go and work at one of them, we gathered information to help you in your job search.
Famous British Columbia and Alberta ski resorts;
- Whistler (BC)
- Banff (BC)
- Jasper (AB)
- Sun Peaks (BC)
- Panorama (BC)
- Kicking Horse (BC)
- Big White (BC)
- Mount Washington (BC)
Ski Resort Perks – Usually, jobs come with season ski or snowboarding pass or some discounted rates given to employees. Also your work schedule may allow you to go on the slopes during your breaks and some discount on services (food and beverages) and/or equipment. Also most hotels offer staff housing which is a great way to meet friends and also a cheap way to live in a resort.
Type of Jobs – There is a multiple of job positions in a ski resort depending you want to work in a hotel or a restaurant or a store or even on the ski hills! Here is an example of sample position:
- Hotel: room attendant, front desk, banquet server, ski groom, concierge.
- Store: retail clerk, cashier, found counter attendant
- Restaurant: server, hostess, kitchen help, cook, line cook
- Ski Hills: lift attendant, ski/snowboard instructor, rental clerk
Find a Ski Resort Job – In order to work in a resort, it’s important to understand the seasonality of its employment process. Ski resorts in Western Canada usually start hiring in the middle of October with working start date for middle of November which usually includes one or two weeks of job training. There are three ways to find a job at a Canadian ski resort;
- Early Application -You can start applying by email or by phone late summer or early fall. Being among the first to apply is usually a big advantage.
- Friend Referral – If you have a friend who is working or worked at the ski resort who can refer you to the employer – employers always trust recommendation from current or past employees.
- On the spot – This is a bit risky but during the high season, you can try to apply in person with your resume – its important to be able to start work as soon as possible.
STEPWEST WORKING HOLIDAY PROGRAM – An alternative and hassle free solution to the above is to register to STEPWEST Working Holiday Program. If you qualify, STEPWEST placement expert will review your resume, prepare you for an interview and guarantee you a job placement at a Canadian Top Resort! For more information please visit our website: www.stepwest.ca